A one-year-old boy is dead and three other children were hospitalized after ingesting fentanyl at a daycare in the Bronx.
FDNY EMS and firefighters, who donned SCBAs before entering the daycare, found the unresponsive children. They quickly ruled out carbon monoxide, ABC7 reported.
Mel Ramirez who lives in the building said she heard a worker screaming for help.
“And she started saying that the kids were dying, and then I saw one of the kids laying down and he wasn’t responding, and then the lady came out with the other child trying to make him respond, but he wasn’t responding,” she said. “The door was open. The kids were just there laying down.”
Narcan was administered to the victim as well as an eight-month-old girl and two two-year-old boys. They were in critical condition.
The children had eaten before taking their afternoon naps. Unable to wake them, workers called 9-1-1.
Police questioned the staff as the EMTs worked to revive the victims.