Several Meriden firefighters suffered burns at a house fire Saturday that involved the rescue of an unconscious boy and exploding propane tanks.
The fire could have been worse had it not been for the fast actions of two plumbers who spotted the front porch ablaze, Meriden Deputy Fire Chief Ryan Dunn told Fox61 reporters.
They used tools they had in their vehicle to force their way in, which startled the residents.
“When we first broke in they actually thought we were breaking into the home. They didn’t know the fire was happening,” said Dylan Saradeth.
As a woman and children rushed out of the house, she told them a son was on the third floor.
“At that point, the whole second floor was already encased, full of black smoke. The whole living room, which was a couple of feet away was already halfway on fire,” Saradeth said.
Meriden firefighters didn’t have far to go as the house is located a building away. They used a ground ladder to rescue the boy.
Though some of the firefighters were burned, they didn’t seek treatment immediately, Dunn said.
“There were reports of some explosions possible of some propane tanks. It took off on the first floor and got up on the second floor really quick,” Dunn said.
“They did a great job,” Dunn said of the good Samaritans. “A lot of credit to them for that. And there were reports of a person on the number three floor.”
“The firefighters who were here tonight, they gave it their all. They went above and beyond. They always but I can’t say enough about them tonight,” Dunn added.