CLEVELAND, Ohio— Jay Leno finally opens up about the horrifying car fire accident that left him with severe burn injuries this past November.
The former Tonight Show host stopped by the Today show on Wednesday to chat with Hoda Kotb about a gasoline fire that happened while he was working on of his collectible cars, which caused him to sustain significant burns to his face, arms, and hands.
“It was a 1907 White Steam Car,” Leno told Kotb. “The fuel line was clogged, so I was underneath it. It sounded clogged, and I said, ‘Blow some air through the line.’”
Leno said he was suddenly met with a “face full of gas.”
“And then the pilot light jumped, and my face caught on fire,” Leno continued.
Luckily his longtime friend, Dave Killackey, was right there to help.
“I said to my friend, I said, ‘Dave, I’m on fire,’” Leno recalls. “And Dave’s like, ‘All right.’ I said, ‘No, Dave, I’m on fire.’ And then, ‘Oh, my God.’ Dave, my friend, pulled me out and jumped on top of me and kind of smothered the fire.”
But it doesn’t stop there. Leno then revealed after the terrifying incident he drove himself home before being admitted to Grossman Burn Center in Los Angeles.
Leno spent nearly ten days in the hospital before he was released to an outpatient care facility last month.
©2022 Advance Local Media LLC. Visit cleveland.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.