Morning, neighbors! John Braese here with today’s issue of the Boise Daily. Here’s what’s happening today in Boise.
The holiday weekend has arrived. Today’s Boise Daily has all the events around the valley you will need to make it great. We also have the heart breaking story of an local athlete who first received word of an Olympic qualification only to have the story take a horrible turn of events. The housing crunch is extending beyond the Boise border, and a new film will take a look at the plight of the Boise 7. Enjoy your weekend and stay with the Boise Daily.
First, today’s weather: Clear throughout the day. High: 105, low: 73.
As we head into the holiday weekend, heat continues to rise. The Boise Daily urges everyone to take precautions and check on each other. Also, don’t forget your pets and animals outside. Make sure water is plentiful and they have shade to somewhat get out of this sun. As always, remember the Boise Daily is free to all our readers and if read in an air conditioned place, extremely refreshing.
Here are the top stories today in Boise:
- Not sure what to do over this holiday weekend? The staff of KTVB have compiled a full event guide for Boise and the surrounding communities. (KTVB)
- Every young athlete dreams of making a trip to the Olympics. For one young Treasure Valley athlete, the dream was a reality until one phone call turned the dream into a nightmare. (My story)
- The problems finding housing in Boise has extended beyond the capital city. Jake Garcia of KIVI takes a look at lack of housing in Mountain Home. (6 On Your Side)
- If you are lighting up those fireworks this weekend, professionals are urging to do it safely. CBS2 staff speak with Boise and Meridian firefighters who are urging fireworks caution (Idaho News)
- Jake Garcia of KIVI looks back at the story of the Boise 7, a group fired from Boise Police for ‘suspected lesbianism.’ Now, an all-female team is sharing their story. (6 On Your Side)
Boise Patch Notebook
- Studio Boise Photo Center: “Here are some example shots taken by @jensenphotographyllc of our Studio Director @kittykatrfw – They show a handful.” (Instagram)
- Boise Parks and Recreation: “Keep our parks and river clean with temperatures in the triple digits in Boise.” (Instagram)
- Visit Boise: “The City of Boise Fourth of July firework show is back this year! Head down to Ann Morrison Park by dusk.” (Instagram)
- Boise Bully Breed Rescue: “RAMBO IS AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION! Thank you to BBBR Volunteer Talitha for taking Rambo on an outing.” (Facebook)
- #BoiseBucketList: ” JULY 4TH WEEKEND TGIF, Boise! July 4th weekend is here, and we got you covered for fireworks . (Instagram)
- Zoo Boise: “Zoo staff member Lyndsay spotted the sand cat kittens being very playful this morning.” (Facebook)
- Boise State Public Radio: “Nominee Doug Traubel says his antisemitic, racist and sexist writings won’t factor into the job he could do.” (Facebook)
- US National Weather Service Boise Idaho: “This is the latest forecast from the HRRR smoke model for today through Saturday evening.” (Facebook)
- US National Weather Service Boise Idaho: “Quite a bit of smoke coming from the Lava, Salt and Tennant Fires in northern CA.” (Facebook)
- #BoiseBucketList: ” G I V E A W A Y @omakaseumi is the latest culinary vision of Sushi Chef Ichiro Takao.” (Instagram)
- Downtown Boise Association: “SUPERSIZED FIRST THURSDAY is happening RIGHT NOW Treat yourself to a good drinks & food, family activities, live.” (Instagram)
- US National Weather Service Boise Idaho: “Check out the view from Bogus Basin of the storm over southeast Boise.” (Facebook)
- US National Weather Service Boise Idaho: “Thunderstorms have formed across the region this afternoon. Expect brief heavy rains and gusty winds.” (Facebook)
- US National Weather Service Boise Idaho: “Strong thunderstorm west of Baker City producing nickel size hail and very heavy rain. Localized flooding possible.” (Facebook)
- Idaho Humane Society: “Our foster office is in need of kitten supplies if you’d like to help!” (Facebook)
- Radio Boise: “Every Thursday from 4:30 to 5 p.m., you can get your WINGS on Radio Boise.” (Instagram)
- US National Weather Service Boise Idaho: “Wildfire smoke is expected to increase across the region. Here is the latest projection from the HRRR smoke model.” (Facebook)
- Boise Fire Department: “Are you one of our best recruits? We hope so! The 2021-2022 entry level firefighter recruitment is now open.” (Facebook)
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Saturday! I’ll see you around. If you’re into these newsletters, consider bringing some of your friends and neighbors into the fold. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— John Braese
About me: Welcome to the Boise edition of patch.com. I am the community editor in this exciting endeavor for the Boise area. I was born and grew up in Boise, attending Bishop Kelly High School before graduating from Borah High School more than a few years ago. I have seen Boise grow substantially in the last few years, but still maintain my hometown appeal. I want to hear about what is important to you and the stories you wish to see on patch.com. Feel free to reach out to me via email at email@example.com or drop me a phone call or text at 208 954-9585.